Friday, May 11, 2007

Pre-race day

Well, it's the eve of the Clemson triathlon. This is probably one I would consider an "A" race, simply due to the depth of the field and subsequent high competition level. Now that I have (somehow) slipped into third in the series standings, I don't want to give it up. Yes, I do realize this is my first season, but that doesn't matter to me. I have the capability, so I must use it and not hold back. Time to pull out the stops.

But have I trained enough? All day it's felt like I haven't ran or done a brick or swam in well over a week, though it's been much shorter than that. Perhaps I'm ready to push through to a new level, or switch up some training aspects since the lack of mental impact may indicate a lack of effective physical impact from the last few workouts. So next week I'm going to shock the body with some pure speed work and a long run, a long ride (no intense brick), and some hard-core swim drills and speed work.

This is the first tri that I'm not in a hotel the night before, also. I have to keep reminding myself that when we leave tomorrow, it's race time. We aren't driving to the town and casually preparing for the race, that has to be done tonight. The up side is that I get to sleep in my own bed tonight. The down side is that we have to get up at the unholy time of 5:15. Now this is the normal start time for some of Robin and Scott's psycho runs, but it's just unnatural for me. But, we ate some chicken and a big pile of whole wheat pasta for dinner, and I'm enjoying some wine to help me sleep. Purely medicinal, I assure you! :-)

Perhaps some of the added importance of this race, besides trying to maintain my series standing, is that Scott and Robin will be there, and tonight Jason let me know he and his father-in-law and co-worker of mine (Bob) will be there to heckle me under the guise of cheering me on. Seriously, though, I know they are going WAY out of their way to come support me, and I appreciate it. It's a pretty awesome feeling, and I thank you guys!

So, some pre-race jitters I suppose. My biggest goal is not really a time, but to push myself to the point that I know I have reached my limit and given my all. We'll see if I do it, and what my performance brings in the way of results. I'm a bit leery of the rain forecast for tomorrow, and I guess I will run a touch lower tire pressure just in case. Gotta take the amber sunglasses for contrast and definition on the bike. Chain is lubed up with wet lube for the moisture. Chairs and shelter "tent" are packed. Tool roll, spare chain, bike and run shoes, wetsuit, race belt, water, Carb Boom gels, and tons of other stuff: all packed. Okay, I think I'm ready...

Time to go get 'em! I'll let you all know how it goes. Later!

David

2 comments:

Gotta Run..... said...

Full report needed. Scott and I were glad to be a part of it!!

Wes said...

The proof is in the pudding, so to speak! Let's see how you come out. I hope you had a great race, and its really cool the others were there to heckle you! I'm jealous of course ;-)