Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Getting back into it

I had a date with this little piece of equipment today. I haven't been on my tri bike in months, and it shows. I felt like doing 45 minutes, almost quit at 20 minutes, but wound up doing 60 minutes. Oh, yeah, it was on the trainer, so I held a 21.77 mph average. I haven't been on the road recently and riding the trainer is way different that riding on the fo really reals road.

So, my experience on this horrid piece of equipment quickly numbed my wedding tackle while on the bike. Fortunately, feeling returns quickly afterwards. A lot of the reason for this is the difference from a fo really reals ride: you aren't cornering, climbing hills, free-wheeling, or modifying position much. Just constant pedaling. The other reason is just getting used to riding on it, which I sorely need to before the Parris Island Sprint I just signed up for.

But, I am getting back into more routine training, mixing it up and doing some cycling and swimming to supplement the running. That's a very good thing, not only for injury prevention and quality of training, but for my own sanity. Do you guys have the problem that you really want to go do something (run, bike, swim, lift, pilates, whatever), but just don't feel like doing it when it's time? I guess that's why I enjoy triathlon so much, since it's all cross training. Well that, and all the spandex.

It's great to be back into some multi sport training, though I fear my first brick in many months. As soon as the MB HM is done, it's ON as far as training goes. The bike ride the next day should help to reinforce that. Hopefully the weather will cooperate as Spring approaches. Stupid weather. (That's just winter bitterness talking - and all you snow runners: shadaap!)

10 comments:

Wes said...

Yea, careful with that wedding tackle ;-) Cool that you are coming to Marietta. If you wanna try and meet up, shoot me an email and I'll send you my cell. I understand like, totally, if you are too busy doing NAVY training stuff (Sir!!) :-)

Marathoner in Training said...

Tri's are great. and the Spandex...Well, some of the people should not be wearing it at all. Some of them look just fine in it. Those are the ones you pace your self behind. Just don't catch them or you will be in trouble with the wife. :)

Marathoner in Training said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
My Life said...

Reading this makes me realize I know so little about bike riding... and I was so proud of my badass 14 mile jaunts around the flightline. What is this cornering, freewheeling and modifying position you talk about? I just managed switching gears without having getting my chain jacked up... ;)

Marcy said...

OMG ROFLMAO "wedding tackle"?!?! I have never heard that term used before. But wouldn't it just be "everyday tackle" because I don't know about you people but I tend to use that stuff BEFORE the wedding. You know, for insurance purposes :P Once you're married you can't change your mind so quick, eh? :P

Pokey said...

Tee hee.....wedding tackle. I'll be sure NOT to share that one with the Hubby because it would be WAY overused in our house!!! The term, that is ;)

Nancy said...

Wedding tackle? hee hee hee hee.

I thought I wanted to Try Tri sometime but you are scaring the crap out of me with the spandex. :D

Mendy said...

I agree. I am liking the tri training, mixing it up with swimming, running, cycling, elliptical every now and then, and core. It's nice, and you don't get burned out. Who knows? I might stay on a tri training schedule even when Parris Island is done.

I can't believe you went an hr.... I was counting down at 25 min in, bad! I wanted off that thing.

Jess said...

Okay, that thing in the picture is a bike seat, right? Well...I won't even mention what it first looked like to me.

I must be the most boring person on the planet because I like running. Just running. Run, run, run.

Chris said...

I've tried to explain to other folks that riding on the trainer seems to be doubly tough on the Uhmm........... tackle as opposed to riding on the road. I'm not sure what it is about is other than it just is......... ;-)

owwww. After 1.5 hrs I'm (we) are toasted.

glad (kind of ) to hear that it's not just me.