Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Happy Hump Day!

Hope everyone has a humperiffic day today, and may all your humpiness be humptastic!

I have to swim today. Well, I don't have to, but my tri friend Pam is giving me a bunch of crap about having no purple (swim minutes) in my training log graph. Apparently, as she reminded me, swimming is actually part of triathlon. CRAP! Okay, so I'll go do some laps. I'm thinking I need to run this afternoon, since the weather will be nice. That may not happen if it's too windy, though.

So, with the pre-season essentially over, I'm starting to think about multiple workout days (i.e. bricks, swim lunch/run evening, etc). I'm anxious to get going, but with any big change in routine it's best to do ramp up, not just jump in. I'm WAY more inclined to do the latter, but I'm determined to play it smart(er) this year. So, I will probably start with a couple of swim/run days, and then maybe a couple of bike/run days, and then in a week or two start doing a brick every week or two. As the season gets going, I will be doing at least one, but probably two +, bricks per week. I really got a lot of benefit from that last year.

I also need to fix my back! I've had a couple of vertebrae out of alignment for about a year now, and it's most likely what's causing the upper ham/lower glute pain I get after running hard. The sensation is very similar to slipping on the ice and falling on one cheek hard: sort of a deep tissue soreness. I just need to suck it up and go to a Chiropractor, though I'm sure there will be much laughter when he examines my wonky back.

Which reminds me: why is it that EVERYONE knows a good Chiro? Nobody ever says, "Man, my Chiropractor is a total POS! He's really rough and doesn't seem to know his butt from a hole in the ground!" In fact, nobody ever even says, "My Chiro is pretty okay, I guess. You could do better." No, it's always, "Oh, I know a GREAT Chiropractor! You should totally go see him!"

12 comments:

Wes said...

LOL! Yea, I don't even KNOW a chiropractor. I'm not much support there! Get that back fixed!! We all are going to have a great year...

Eric said...

Clay Carter...Carter Chiropractic

Marcy said...

I don't know David, maybe no laughing but butt touching :P

Pre season is over already? Dang iy seems like yesterday that you scared me into thinking you were leaving us forever LOL

Jess said...

I have never been to a chiro a day in my life. So I don't know one, let alone a good one.

J~Mom said...

Phew, since pre season is over can we stop doing all of this core work?

Mendy said...

I can't beleive we have our fist tri this season in just a few weeks and I don't feel ready. Pre-season - get out of here! time for training!

Mendy said...

BTW, LaBelle is a good chiro!

Marcy said...

LMAO! They shorten the animation when I put her on here. If you click on her the bigger one appears and she'll do the full Irish jig for you :P

I don't know about the strippers part. I might have to recant my love for the strippers statement LOL. Maybe it's just me but I have a hard time finding it attractive when a male dancer whips his "wedding tackle" around and I get sprayed with cajone sweat. *PUKE*

Lily on the Road said...

My chiro is way to far away. Yes get your back checked...include the butt touching...hahahah,

First time visiting, you're cracking me up! Thanks for the laughs....

Gotta Run..... said...

I think we all need to PLAY IT SMART and apply a lot of learned lessons to this years goals and training.

You better watch it... Pam will be all over you with the swim. The girl is a machine in the water!!

Good luck with the back pain... that stuff is no fun but at least you are addressing it.

Ashley said...

I hear you on the swimming thing! Swam this morning... same reason you're getting in the pool - because swimming is part of a triathlon. My firt tri will be Gulf Coast half IM.. and Lake Murray for Set-Up races. Look forward to meeting you at the races this summer!

My Life said...

I have never been to a chiropractor... I'm scared.

I've been to a D.O. who did some manipulations, and hurt sooo bad the next day, but then everything was awesome after 48 hours. Not sure if that would help your issue??