Sunday, June 1, 2008

Where do farts go?

I've often wondered what happens to emissions from the "stink whistle", and if the world in general just stinks more now that it did yesterday, 10, 500, 2000, and a bazillion years ago. Are we all just walking around in fart soup, breathing it all in? And for us athletes, are we filtering even more with our pink lungs because we elevate our breathing during exercise? Well, I found out some info while reading about Facts on Farts:

Do fart particles disperse in the air and float around until they hit something and then stick to it?

The ultimate fate of fart particles depends on the nature of the particles. Gas molecules mostly mix into the atmosphere, although some may react chemically to form new substances. Aerosolized particles of liquid and solid poop probably do condense on surfaces. Most of these particles are polar (with a positively charged end and a negatively charged end) and are attracted to other polar substances or charged surfaces like a monitor screen. Other fart particles condense on microscopic water droplets in the air if the humidity is very high (as in a bathroom), and some particles go into solution in water.

Hmmm, not very promising for future generations. I'm sure lots of the gasses and particles (seriously? GROSS!) disintegrate or break down into smaller, simpler chemical compounds. But still, in the presence of a butt alarm, you gotta wonder about what's floating around.

Have a great weekend, and go easy on the beans, Marcy.

19 comments:

Michelle said...

OMG, I seriously laughed my ass off during this entire post.

Thankfully, I did not fart while doing so.

Kevin said...

TMI, but funny. Dont know if I really wanted to know that though

Marcy said...

OMFG where the hell did you find that link?!?! Dude, we had Mexican last night so you can only imagine how it's been in this house :P

Jess said...

"stink whitsle"?! That's hilarious!

Erin Leigh said...

Somehow I knew this post would be dedicated to Marcy. I wish you could have seen my face while reading this. You would have been so happy. Seriousy, I just thought of all the nasty farts at the gym... Blech....

Thanks for this.

Wes said...

Wow! I am so grateful this. It has been bugging me for years :-)

teacherwoman said...

Too funny!

Eric said...

SOMEBODY CALL AL GORE!

J~Mom said...

I just can't picture you in the military..I mean can you EVEN make one straight face?

Lily on the Road said...

OMG, I shouldn't read this at work...LMAO, Stink Whistle....Oh crap...sorry about the pun!

My eyes are tearing up!!!

Neese said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!
Well, if there are particles and such I would imagine they are trapped in the drawers.... it's the pantless farts that should concern us...

Marathoner in Training said...

Oh man, I just got done licking my computer monitor. Now I got a potty mouth.

Gotta Run..... said...

Farted at work the other day and the smell just about took me out. What is that about?!!!

LOL on the post!!

sunshine said...

Hahahaha! So (grossly) funny! :)

Paul said...

Soooooo, what's new over there? heh, you need some new material... :)

nwgdc said...

i just read that they're working on an inoculation against sheep flatulence.

you can't make this stuff up!

rxervin said...

You just aren't wrapped right, you know?

The 311 Boys Mom said...

I just had to throw out my water & also threw up a little in my mouth.....thank you for this info. . .

I will come in handy when I take it home to show the men in my house FARTING is not about being FUNNY. . . .it truly is DISCUSTING!!!



SOOOOOOooooooo Gross!!!

Neese said...

David, are you blogged out? Please don't leave on a fart note :)