Tuesday, August 5, 2008

You're an IDIOT!

That's what every fiber in my body is saying after signing up for what may be my last race of this year. Why do I do things like this? I swear, I don't even like running that much! Oh well, I guess the events I've got between now and then will be nice stepping stones on the way: the Half Marathon in Va Beach (sorry dudes, it's Labor Day weekend) and the SC Half (half iron distance race, Sep 28). Still, I think the best part of the weekend will be if we get to hang out in the big beach hizzy G-man is lining up for a bunch of runners.

Okay, so I've also been slacking on the swimming. Since my super-awesome swim focus week, and the subsequent success of it, I've not done a good job of reinforcement training. But, my cycling is fairly strong (still not where I wish it was), and my running is returning. Now it's time to focus on distance. Long rides and long runs. Loooooong ones!

In this heat? Are you freakin' kiddin' me? It's been in the upper 90's for the last few weeks, and I'm sweating like a...thing that...sweats a lot? Sweating like Richard Simmons at a hot dog stand. And with the afternoon rains and post-rain humidity in the bazillion % range, it's shocking how much I sweat. No evaporation, after all. This evening after an intense 2.4 mile run, Grace started singing "Rain, rain, go away..." because she saw me dripping so much. No joke!

So, that's about it for now I guess. Reserves this weekend, so maybe I'll get a chance to hang out with Wes and the lovely Ms. Dee Dee. Then the following weekend is the kid's Tri to Cure that our team is volunteering at. That should be a blast to watch all the kiddies racing and having fun! I hope all you people in the area can make it out. The next day is the Greenville Sprint tri, which should be nice. Later we are going to get tore up from the floor up (well, maybe not) with the super awesome Ashley and some other cool athlete homies. It should be a great time, even if we all start talking about men's leg shaving technique, gearing on our bikes, benefits of swimming speed skins, the Olympics, drug/doping use in pro cycling, etc. Tri dorks, ya know.

I'm trying to get caught up, but no promises. So tired...so...very, very...tired...

*snore*

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Tri dorks. *eye roll*

Get some sleep, man! That's more important than getting caught up. :-)

Marcy said...

Show how DO you shave your legs? You prefer Nair or just a razor, waxing maybe? Gotta make sure those babies are silky smooth :P

Wes said...

We missed you guys at Lake Logan! Stupid shins....

Yup, just give us a call bro! I'm volunteering at the Acworth's Women's Tri this weekend, then I have a bit of light training to do. Nothing serious.

Next week starts IM training, with SC HIM as a training race! Woot!!

nwgdc said...

Signing up for events can almost be like impulsive shopping, can't it?
Side note...my page has changed to simply www.left-right-repeat.com

Eric said...

GET IN THAT POOL! Ha! I'll see you at the Tri to Cure with my kiddies. This will be their 3rd year participating. I'll be at Greenville too. I'm hoping my back gets better by then.

Kevin said...

The heat/humidity has been unbearable here in Georgia. I have been doing most of my training in the early AM. My last two long rides have ended at 90+ degrees

J~Mom said...

I totally know the feeling. I seem to keep signing up for stuff. The humidity is killer, even in this dry heat! and lastly thanks for your kind comment. You the hommie. FO SHO!

G-Man said...

I don't know, David - I thought it felt like Fall last night during my 14-mile run. I mean, my starting temp was only 98 and the humidity was less than 100%. I thought it might snow...

See what you may evolve to if you keep this stuff up? Not pretty, is it.

G

P.S. There's a beach in Virginia Beach!?....I really gotta get a life outside of exercising...